Slí na Sláinte means Path to Health
Developed by the Irish Heart Foundation, it’s the new outgoing way to make walking far more enjoyable. Already, it’s capturing the attention of the young and old, not only in Ireland but in Europe and other parts of the world too! And no wonder, because it’s a fun healthy way for the average adult to accumulate the recommended 30 minutes of physical activity, on most, preferably all, days of the week. Marked by bright colourful signposts which are not numbered and are situated at 1 km intervals, you’ll find Slí na Sláinte walk routes all over Ireland. Simply follow the Km signs, set your pace to suit your enjoyment and you’ll quickly feel better and get fitter. You will also experience a great sense of achievement.
Here are a few useful tips that will help you to enjoy your walk and do your heart good. If you’re not in the habit of taking regular exercise, start slowly, enjoy being out and about, and gradually build up to the recommended 30 minutes walking a day.
- Drink a glass of water before and after your walk and, don’t forget, wear good, comfortable shoes.
- Gradually warm up at the beginning and cool down towards the end.
- Remember, loose clothing is more comfortable and, in winter, add light layers rather than thick, chunky clothes. It’s much better.
- Why not try to incorporate walking into your daily activities. Walk to work, to meetings or the shops. The list is endless….
- If you have a history of heart trouble or other significant medical illness, talk to your doctor before you start.
- Stop if you experience unusual symptoms, such as chest pain, dizziness or breathlessness, and consult your doctor.
- Why not invite your friends, family or work colleagues to join you when you go walking…
Slí na Sláinte Trails
Rosslare Strand Slí na Sláinte
Linear Route 7.2km
Circular Route 4.2km
Duncannon Beach Slí na Sláinte
Linear Route 1km
Enniscorthy Town Slí na Sláinte
Circular Route 4.9km
New Ross Slí na Sláinte
Short Loop 4.5km
Long Loop 7.1km
Town Park Loop 400m
Gorey Slí na Sláinte
Circular Route 3.7km
Carrickbyrne Sli na Sláinte
Red Trail 4.6km
Blue Trail 4.4km
Orange Trail 3.6km
A regular programme of walking…
… keeps your heart strong
… improves muscle strength
… helps to manage your weight
… makes you feel good
BUT, ABOVE ALL – WALKING IS FUN
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY …reduces risk for several chronic diseases including heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, anxiety and depression.